Effective Tips for Good Letter Writing
Letter writing is an artful skill that plays an influential role in everyone's life. Everyone at some point or other has to write a letter for varied reasons. Whether its an employment letter, letter of invitation, appreciation letter, apology letter, appointment letter, or any other kind of letter, each one of these need a specialized format and structure to create a perfect letter.
It's the structure, form, tone, and language that deliver the right message in an appropriate manner. If the letter carries a wrong tone or any kind of error, then it will definitely deliver a wrong message as well as a wrong impression. Therefore, it is very critical to acquire the right skills and learn appropriate guidelines to write letters.
Here are some effective tips for good letter writing:
• An effective and good letter should carry the right tone in terms of what your message in and how gently it is delivered. It is very important to give a positive and friendly tone to your letter.
• It is also important to have proper elements of grammar as this is the most important key to a successful composition. Each and every word should explain the relationship and deliver the right message.
• The use of adjectives, adverbs, nouns, prepositions, verbs, and homophones should be rightly co-related to each other keeping into mind the usage and function of each.
• Punctuation also plays an important role while composing a letter. There should be minimal use of punctuation but it should have a powerful function. It can change the complete meaning of a sentence, so know where to use it.
• Punctuation helps deliver the precise meaning of every word and sentence, therefore the use of apostrophe, brackets, comma, exclamation, hyphen, dash, and question mark should be wisely used.
• Applying the rules of capitalization is also essential while composing a letter. It is very important to keep into mind what should be capitalized and what not to. The first letter of the first word of every sentence should definitely be capitalized. Apart from this, name of any building, company, monument, street, continent, country, district, academic degree, and professional designation should all be capitalized.
• It is very important to address the letter to the right person to deliver a greater impact of your message. The subject, the content, and the closure should all be in a perfect flow.
• The date of writing the letter is also important as it helps in future correspondence. At any period of time, the date of any conversation or contract can be traced back through the date mentioned in the letter.
• The closing of the letter should be in a friendly and positive note.